Saturday, August 20, 2011

School

When we started homeschooling we committed to take it one year at time. And after much prayer and consideration, my husband and I decided earlier this summer that all three would go to school this coming year.

Gulp.

We have a unique opportunity for our children to attend a small Christian school with which we are closely connected. My husband meets regularly with the headmaster and often leads the school's chapel. The teachers are wonderful. The campus is beautiful. My kids have many friends there.

So with that, it did seem a bit crazy for us to homeschool these past three years. And, honestly, having the option for my children to attend this school made those hard homeschooling days harder, but we loved being home for school. I could go on and on about all that we have enjoyed and cherished... and the things we will miss. These past three years have been a wonderful gift to our family. And my husband and I both feel by homeschooling we have set a tone, created an atmosphere for a love of learning in our home. Schooling at home was the right fit for our family for a season and we may return to it.

This week we are busily preparing to begin this new adventure. Kindergarten, Second Grade, Fourth Grade... the kids are ready, a little nervous, but very excited!

Clearly, my days are about to drastically change. From about 8am to 3pm everyday, my kids will be at school. I feel a little like someone has cut off my arm. It's strange for me to respond to "What are you going to do all day?" Well, I'm not all that sure, but I am excited to take care of my home in a way that I couldn't these past three years. And I'm thankful to have more time with women (in Bible study, mentoring relationships, and volunteering at school and church).

I'll still be here. Blogging about our family life with gratitude posts, craft projects, books, housekeeping thoughts, meals and recipes... just not a lot of nitty-gritty homeschool stuff. Not this year anyway...

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to some of what you are feeling. We sent our oldest this year for the first time.

    I hope this is a great year for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a rockstar!! so excited for this new season in your life... enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you...way to go for homeschooling as well as you did and for being sensitive to the Spirit. I am excited for your new chapter and know it will be great for you! I pray that yuo find great joys in your school! Miss you...I keep witing for my kids to go...no one wants to :( So my journey continues at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting to read your post today. We to took the leap of faith 3 years ago to home school our children. Just 2 but grades 3rd & 1st. We too said 1 year at a time and this year we decided to return them to a classroom. My husband attended this private school as a child & we decided to place them there. A lot of the way they teach compares to a home school methods & classes are on the small side, plus most of the teachers have or have had kids in the school. It just felt like the right time & place for us at this moment. So off to 6th & 4th they went last week.

    It is strange to not have them home with me, even odd at tiems. I to have been attempting to really clean my house, I had the same thought- that in some ways it hasn't been really clean in 3 years.

    So far they love the school & even though the work & requirements seem to be more than they had at home they haven't complained, seem to enjoy the challenge. They love it when a topic comes up that they have already covered & have some knowledge of.

    Enjoy the time you get for yourself & treasure the time when they are home, & know that your not alone. I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May God bless your family in this new chapter of your lives.
    I have been (quietly) following your blog now for a year or so, and have really appreciated your heart and dedication to your children.
    Have also loved and gleaned some great ideas to use in our own homeschool. Thank you for sharing your lives with others, and may God continue blessing you!
    Please keep your blog up and running, because I will continue coming back for more ideas!
    PS: I found you through Ann Voskamp's 1000 gifts posts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin