Monday, January 17, 2011

Snow Globes

My kids are longing for a good snow. The big storms keep just missing us! So, we decided to make a bit of our own. This project was oh-so-easy and the kids are thrilled with the results. And there's the added bonus of three less playmobil figures lying around the house.

Snow Globes

What you need:
  • a glass jar with a tight fitting lid
  • super glue
  • glitter (we had white and gold on hand, so that's what we used)
  • small plastic figures, plastic beads, plastic trees, etc.
  • water
Instructions:
  1. Have your kids come up with the arrangement of the figures on the lids.
  2. Superglue the arrangement/figure to the inside of the lid. I did that part... I'm not that brave.
  3. Fill the glass jars with water (to about a half inch from the top).
  4. Add about 1/2 tsp of glitter to each jar.
  5. Screw on the lid and shake!

A few details:
I super-glued my boys lids onto the jar to avoid a watery-glittery mess in my future.
The white glitter we used didn't sink to the bottom at first, but floated to the top after the shaken blizzard (I think the gold and silver metallic glitters tend to be a bit heavier). We decided our white glitter created a looming snow cloud look, but a few days later it did settle... not sure why.

This is Will's...
Hannah's...
Peter's...

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. We are coming to the end of our long summer school holidays here in Australia and are running low on ideas to keep entertained. I will have to have a go at these next time the kids say they have nothing to do.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin