Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reading and Writing

Will and I are working through The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. So far, he is doing well and really getting it. Teaching reading is the thing I am most nervous about in homeschooling. Hannah skipped off to school for two years and came back reading, so this is a first for me. Will and I like his phonics lessons because it's our time. We can cuddle up on the couch while Hannah reads to or plays a game with Peter. Hannah claims entertaining Peter is the hardest part of her day. I totally agree, sweetie. : )

Will is also loving the Handwriting Without Tears Pre-K program. He is a lefty and very reluctant to write. The little slate chalkboard/chalk bits is his favorite. He seriously begs to write on it.

He is so proud of what is learning to do! (me, too!)

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried letting him "write" in rice or cornmeal? My lil man likes it.

    http://funmajors.blogspot.com/2008/08/back-to-school.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've enjoyed both of those programs as well. It has been so fun to be the one facilitating the reading skills and love for reading. I was a little nervous in the beginning, but I couldn't be happier with the way our reading lessons have gone. I haven't done much with Luke (4) in the way of HWT. I think he would enjoy it, but it is the problem of carving out more one-on-one time. Maybe I'll employ Levi to entertain Leif. I'm liking that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, teaching your child to read is one of the best things ever! I've taught 6 of my 7 kids to read (the youngest just turned 3) and it's one of the best memories--right up there with their first steps.

    enjoy!

    jodi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin