Thursday, May 22, 2008

Field Trip : The White House, Roosevelt Island

Another day, another field trip. Today, we went to the WHITE HOUSE! I haven't been there since 5th grade. The furnishings, rugs, art, candlesticks, clocks... it's all beautiful and each piece has such a big story. I'm not sure the kids really felt the gravity of the place. I found myself repeating to Hannah, "Isn't this neat? We are in the White House." Her response, "It's pretty. I'd like to live here."

Sadly, there are no cameras allowed. Or purses. Nothing. Getting through the high security is an experience in itself. The kids got a kick out of delivery trucks opening their hoods for the dogs. No question about why they were sniffing. Maybe they already know. Born in 2001... what a different childhood.

After the Library, Vermeil Room/Parlor, China Room, East Room, Green Room, Blue Room, Red Room, State Dining Room and all those cross halls that you see in the movies the tour was over. So sad about the camera rule. Truly majestic!

We had a picnic lunch and short hike on Theodore Roosevelt Island before heading back to school. It is a very interesting place, right there in the middle of the Potomac River is a wooded sanctuary. And a giant statue of Teddy Roosevelt.

You can just see the Lincoln Memorial under the Roosevelt Bridge.

City kids.

8 comments:

  1. I am so used to reading blogs from people who live far away that it was strange to come here and see stuff that is in my own backyard. Looks like so much fun. I am looking forward to doing more of that this summer with the kids. They enjoy taking metro downtown and visiting the Smithsonian...esp the dinosaur exhibits. I haven't done alot of things in years because I just figure I'll get to it someday. Well someday turns into 30 years doesn't it? I really want to get my kids to appreciate all that we have at our fingertips daily. Sounds like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous of the wonderful places you have to visit! I can't wait to take my kids to the East Coast some day. :)

    That last picture of your daughter is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe I have never been to Roosevelt Island?! (or Mt. Vernon - don't tell!) And I moved to DC when I was 12!!!

    Love sweet Hannah's pigtails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right about the uniform on her. Those pics of her are TDF. I am so jealous you're so close to 'the action'. I will be in DC next year though - now I know two families in the metro.

    I haven't been to some of those places since I was prbably my oldest son's age. We're starting American history next year. I think it's time for a trip.

    How lucky to have so many 'national treasures' in your own back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have done two trips to DC...and there is still so much I want to see...The White House being at the top of the list. That would make me crazy to not be able to take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat! My daughter's field trip was to the zoo...I think the White House would be incredible! I've been a couple times growing up, but we'll have to wait till our kiddos get older to make it there w/them.

    Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that y'all got to do D.C. as a field trip. 'Cause here in the country, with these country kids, a field trip to the zoo is like, "Whatever...we've got cows/horses/goats just down the road, so only the gorillas impress us." But ohhhhhhh...we do not have Meerkat Lovin' in these parts, so I guess our zoo trip was worthwhile afterall.

    D.C. would be more fun, though. Y'all are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you had a great field trip. I'm embarrased to say that I've never been to the White House. I've been to DC on business trips before, but never to sight see. That's just terrible. I need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin