Friday, April 11, 2008

Book Love

When I get a little money, I buy books;
and if any is left I buy food and clothes.

-Erasmus

The only thing I love more than a good book store is a good used book sale. I went to my biggest yesterday. The sale boasted "four miles of books" - I only saw a portion. I started in the children's section and never left. Peter was so patient with his bag of animal crackers under the tables - just staying with my feet as I worked my way down. I know you all want to see, so here's my loot...

Book buying is so fun for me, not always for our budget. Homeschooling may break us - I can always justify spending money on a book. And I don't just read them, though that is the primary purpose. Books are my favorite things to give as gifts, to decorate with, to use under a lamp to add height... I love a room with books in every corner. I stick them wherever I can. It adds humanity to a space. Here's my ever-changing mantle...

Those blue books are Mother West Wind Books by Thorton Burgess. We just finished Chatterer the Red Squirrel by Burgess (with Hannah) and she loved it... sweet old book about forest animals. I recently found those at a used book store - they are 1926 editions. Love old books! I love to think about the hands and homes where they have been... that's for another post.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous blog, Jennifer! I can't wait to read and see more. (Nice job on the photos!)

    Old books and bicycle on the mantel. Yep. Glass vases and pedestal bowls. Love them!

    I'm so jealous of the stack of books you came home with. I want to go to a book sale!! Not one of my boys would stay under a table with a bag of animal crackers, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have little bits of Project Heidi showing up all over my house. Thanks for it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin